[eeps] Revised suggestion for EEP4 and EEP6

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Tue Sep 11 16:22:33 CEST 2007

Hi,

>From the different suggestions we have now the following compromise to suggest:

Type test functions:
is_binary, is_bitstring

Size functions:
tuple_size
byte_size (which returns the size in bytes needed to hold the binary
or bitstring)
I.e no crash as suggested before.
bit_size (which returns the size in number of bits)

Type qualifiers in binary/bitstring expressions:
/binary
/bitstring
/bits (shorter alias to /bitstring)
/bytes (shorter alias to binary)

It can be questioned to have bits and bytes as alias, the only reason
is that it is convenient with a short notation in binary expressions
(Kenneth).

We also think it is better to handle this and future EEP discussions
on the mailing list eeps@REDACTED so I recommend you all to join
that mailing list. Join
here http://www.erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/eeps/

/Kenneth and Björn