ssl_esock.exe

Klacke klacke@REDACTED
Wed Jun 5 13:49:20 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:08:49PM +0200, Miguel Barreiro Paz wrote:

> > So, to my knowledge, swedish, EU, and US export restrictons are
> > just plain gone. (Notable exceptions of Libya, Cuba and some other not so
> > very cool countries :-)
>
> 	Certainly not cool, usually above 40C :-)
>
> 	Seriously, what's the legal situation in France and other EU
> countries wrt crypto?

To my knowledge France now has similar rules as the rest of
the EU countries. (They used to have even more restrictive rules
than the other countries) The EU rules are _very_ similar to the US rules.
I haven't ever exported anything *out* of France though, only into.
The only country that I know of that has rules governing
which crypto can be brought into the country (a opposed to out from)
is India.

Besides, wasn't the entire discussion of crypto export weird. Remember,
during the days when crypto export actually was regulated, the openssl
sources were always available from a large number of ftp sites all over the
world. So exporting closed products was regulated, whereas giving away
the "Real Mc Coy" wasn't. ... I never groked that. Still don't.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
Alteon WebSystems                     -- everything is under control