[freebsd] new erlang related packages

Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Sat Nov 16 00:01:11 CET 2002

Hi!

>   Just a notice, ports for distel (http://www.bluetail.com/~luke/distel/)
>   and py_interface (from the erlang contrib archive) are now available
>   under FreeBSD as devel/distel and devel/py_otp_interface.

I installed the latest ports of distel and Erlang on
a fresh FreeBSD-CURRENT.

Strange thing about that Erlang 9 is that

  erl -s toolbar

doesn't start up that toolbar. With the older 8 version the toolbar
worked fine.

  marc@REDACTED$ erl -s toolbar
  Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.2 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]

  Eshell V5.2  (abort with ^G)
  1> {"init terminating in do_boot",{startup_timeout,toolbar}}
  init terminating in do_boot ()
  marc@REDACTED

The error message comes after a short pause.

Any idea?

Distel is coming up fine in Emacs 21.2.1, I see the Erlang
extended mode and for example tags via M-. seem to work.
But -don't kick me- when I get asked for an Erlang node
name after hitting C-c C-d l, what am I supposed to
answer? localhost gives an error.
Do I have to fire up an erlang shell before?

I would also suggest to extend the ports in two ways

1. Erlang: A hint that the erlang emacs mode file is
   hidden below /usr/local/share/lib/erlang would be nice

2. Distel: I would add "Erlang" to the package description,
   to allow distel to show up in a search result, when one
   uses the ports search engine over at www.freebsd.org
   for Erlang apps.

Regards,
Marc