let me know the concept of gen_event behaviour

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Mon Feb 10 22:03:17 CET 2003

Suresh,

The gen_event behaviour is best used for doing things like handling
alarms or other system messages.  You implement an event manager using
this behaviour which all of your management messages are sent to.
You then install event handlers for each message type which you are
interested in.  An example would be an event manager which received
messages like {disk, over_90_percent}, {disk, under_90_percent},
{cpu,  over_90_percent}, etc.  You might have a disk handler and a
cpu handler.  You might also install a short lived handler which was
also interested in cpu usage.  This handler might be used to wait
until the cpu usage was below threshold and then remove itself and
run some task.  Your handlers act on the messages they are interested
in and ignore (do nothing) with other messages.  Your short lived task
would react to the cpu messages and the normal cpu handler would also
do it's thing.

The key point to understand is that _every_ event handler is called for
_every_ event.  This being the case you probably don't want to have
1000 handlers.

Please also understand that there is only one process here, that being
the event manager.  The event handler callbacks are run within the
same process.

If I didn't address you questions directly it is because I didn't
quite understand them.

	-Vance