Supervisor, terminate_child

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Thu Sep 4 23:20:26 CEST 2003

Hi,
The functions terminate_child, start_child, restart_child and
delete_child were initially only meant as administrativ and for
debugging purposes. However they have also become used for adding
"dynamic" children after start-up of the supervisor.
These functions do not count towards the restart intensity. To be
precise. Only "illegal" terminations are counted towards the
restart intensity. (The legallity is then determined by the
permanence).

Have fun!
/Lennart

Zoltan Peter Toth wrote:
> Hi Erlang experts,
>
> I have a question about the supervisor behaviour of OTP:
>
> If I stop a child process of a supervisor instance 'manually', via
>     supervisor:terminate_child(SupRef, Id)
> then is this checked against the restart frequency limit ?
> (i.e. does it count as a spontaneous exit, can it cause the supervisor
> to exit if
> done too frequently ?)
>
> Cheers,
>     Zoltan

Lennart Ohman                   phone   : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjoland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 6735
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 8230
SE-115 28 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN     email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED