Megaco stack

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Aug 26 10:34:33 CEST 2004

One fairly straighforward thing to try is to
go through the following steps:

- Make a system, using the SASL tools
  (systools:make_script()). This is a bit tricky
  the first time, but you could try the following
  tutorial that I put together some time ago:

http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200212/msg00038.html

- Call systools:make_tar/2 using the same .rel file as
  in the first step. This is also briefly mentioned in the
  tutorial.

http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9c/lib/sasl-1.10/doc/html/systools.html#make_tar%2

  The manual shows you how to include a runtime system in
  the tar file. Unpacked, this file structure should give you
  an idea of how much space is required for your system
  before doing any advanced stripping. The make_tar function
  will only include applications that have actually been
  listed in the .rel file.

If you're lucky, this will be enough... I tried it, just to
see whether there'd be any surprises (there was one: the 'erts'
option to make_tar() seems to require the OTP Root, and not the
erts directory as the manual states.) My computer reports 38 MB
of disk space for a runnable system made out of kernel, stdlib
and megaco. Perhaps that's slightly more than you had in mind?

The majority of space is used by the following files:
- beam (7.18 MB)
- beam.elib (7.21 MB)
- beam.elib.shared (7.22 MB)
- beam.shared (7.18 MB)

I can't tell you whether all of them are needed.
A highly unscientific experiment suggests that you can at
least start the system on a Solaris box without beam.elib,
beam.elib.shared and beam.shared. That cuts down the space
requirement to ca 17 MB. Perhaps someone who knows what these
files actually do could tell you what you're giving up...

After this, I suggest you run xref to find out which modules
in stdlib and kernel are actually used by megaco. It's not
going to give you much, though. There are also some more files
in erts/bin that you could perhaps do without, but it all depends
on how much you want to cripple your system in order to save a
few megabytes of disk space (I know - the answer is not obvious
when it comes to embedded systems.)

/Uffe