[erlang-questions] spawn race condition?

Oscar Hellström oscar@REDACTED
Tue Apr 3 20:05:11 CEST 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 04:01:16 +1100
Anthony Shipman <als@REDACTED> wrote:

> I have code that looks like this:
>
> call(Phone) ->
>     Pid = spawn(?MODULE, init, [Phone]),
>
>     util:delay(100),
>     Pid! {startCall, self()},
>     receive
> 	callComplete -> {ok, Pid}
>     after
> 	5000 -> false
>     end.
>
> If I don't have the 100ms delay then the only message that the new process
> receives is the integer 0. It works with the delay. Am I missing something?

What exactly does init/1 do? You are indeed supposed to be able to send
messages to processes without delays. Are there any other processes
sending the spawned processes if it would return {ok, Pid}? Does init
somehow flush the message queue?

> --
> Anthony Shipman                    Mamas don't let your babies
> als@REDACTED                   grow up to be outsourced.

Oscar Hellström, oscar@REDACTED
Erlang Training and Consulting
http://www.erlang-consulting.com/