[erlang-questions] Speed of communication with external processes

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Sat Apr 14 11:56:58 CEST 2007

When I've done similar tests, I've usually benchmarked one
erlang node talking to another over such a TCP socket.
Depending on machine, I've usually landed around 100-150us
round-trip. With blocking select on the external program,
you should be able to get better results.

I think that 50 us round-trip overhead when calling an erlang
function from a C program would feel comfortable. I've not
been able to reach that through normal means, but I believe
that it was done once using a blocking linked-in driver (by
Lars Björnfot at CSLab, while evaluating VIA)

BR,
Ulf W