[erlang-questions] Number of tcp/ip connections

Oscar Hellström oscar@REDACTED
Wed Jul 11 15:19:14 CEST 2007

selva rani wrote:
> Hi all,
>       I am running a server application in Windows 2003 with multiple
> clients connecting to server. In my application i would like to connect
> more
> than 1024 tcp/ip connections with the server. But when the connection just
> exceeds 1024 i get enfile error in server. I tried changing the maximum
> number of connections using ERL_MAX_PORTS. I changed this using
> os:putenv("ERL_MAX_PORTS","value"). But even then i got enfile error.
> Then i
> changed the parameter TcpNumConnections (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System
> \CurrentControlSet \Services \Tcpip \Parameters) that limits the maximum
> number of connections that TCP may have open simultaneously. After changing
> this parameter also the server is unable to accept more than 1024
> connections and generates enfile error. Tell me what should be done to
> increase the number of tcp/ip connections with the server (more than 1024).

What kind of server is this? Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris?

There are usually settings for how many file descriptors one process may
open. These can also be changed for the user running the server process.
In some OS you also have a limits on sockets. This limit is however
still dependent on the number of fd:s.

If you tell me what OS you are using I (or someone else) can probably
point you to the settings.

> Thanks,
> Rani

Best Regards