[erlang-questions] Erlang and artificial intelligence: new article on trapexit

Corrado Santoro csanto@REDACTED
Tue Jul 17 21:32:43 CEST 2007

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Coquelle wrote:
> I have yet to read the ref you gave, but could you quickly explain
> what's the main difference with an inference engine like prolog? (or
> erlang implementation erlog
> <http://www.trapexit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6126&sid=e8ec07430fccd60a9ec4a77900409853>).
AFAIK, in Prolog you don't have an explicit knowledge base; you write
your initial facts and your rules by means of "implications".

When you issue a query, the implications are processed using backtracing
and the derived knowledge is obtained (returned, not stored in any place).

Conversely, in a rule production system, rules are processed not during
queries but each time you assert or retract a fact. So you have a
knowledge base which explicitly contains (and stores) all your
knowledge, basic and derived. Therefore, querying does not imply rule
processing but only "taking a look" at the KB.

> I'm hoping your inference engine can use the concurrency :)
See my answer to Mike French on this issue.

All the best,
--Corrado

Eng. Corrado Santoro, Ph.D.
University of Catania - ITALY - Engineering Faculty

Tel: +39 095 7382380        VoIP: sip:7035@REDACTED

Personal Home Page: http://www.diit.unict.it/users/csanto
     NUXI Home Page: http://nuxi.diit.unict.it