[erlang-questions] Support for Maths

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Mar 12 08:30:14 CET 2007

Den 2007-03-11 23:38:59 skrev Brent Fulgham <bfulg@REDACTED>:

> Is anyone aware of ways of using Erlang for:
>
> 1.  Numerical analysis (e.g., GMP support, bindings to FFTW, etc.)
> 2.  Linear Algebra (things like ATLAS/Veclib support)?

Not me, but I have been following the progress of
the Felix programming language (http://felix.sf.net),
which is currently undergoing a crisis of sorts, due
to lack of programmers working on the core.

The line of reasoning leading to felix is something
like this:
- ocaml seems to be the FPL of choice for this sort
   of thing
- Felix was designed by ocaml fanatics, to be a small,
   portable, embeddable environment for telecoms. It
   compiles to C++, and was designed to be linked into
   existing runtime environments.

A serious disadvantage (apart from not having been able
to gain momentum) is that it has been forced to lots
of compromises in order to be C++ compatible, while the
C++ community has shown zero interest.

The possibility of having a type-safe, pointer-safe,
linked-in driver development environment with all
sorts of high-level constructs (in fact, more than
Erlang) was intriguing. If you feel that it would
be fun to help, now is a good time to jump in. (:

BR,
Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger