[erlang-questions] How to extend mensia lock to support conditionally lock?

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu Jul 24 22:09:41 CEST 2008

As far as I know there are no docs on the locker implementation
in mnesia, but I do recall some tricky bugs in this area. For
one thing, the locker also handles the deadlock prevention
logic, so it must keep track of dependencies to some extent.

You can read the code and try to form your own opinion,
but before you start trying to extend this part of mnesia,
possibly introducing deadlock bugs in your application,
you should carefully measure the performance of the
existing locking solutions: record locks, sticky locks
and table locks. You should also write a wrapper and see
if it gives you the kind of performance improvement you're
after. If it doesn't, you may be able to come up with some
really nifty extension of mnesia_locker through deep
meditation over the code. The next challenge, after ensuring
that it's stable, would then be to try to get it accepted as
an official extension to mnesia - otherwise, you'll be stuck
maintaining your own mnesia patches, and that's no fun
(been there, done that).

Table locks can be surprisingly efficient, esp if you don't
mix record and table locks too much. I'd advice some
experimentation down that alley first.

BR,
Ulf W

BR,