EPMD responds with no data

David Brown david@REDACTED
Wed Aug 26 08:31:36 CEST 2009

I'm trying to communicate with EPMD in C#. So far, I have a socket
connected to EPMD and I've sent a "NAMES" request. However, my call to
Socket.Receive(byte[]) returns without copying data to the byte array.
I know there should be data, because calling net_adm:names() lists
nodes.

My data consists of a 2 byte length header with a value of 1 encoded
in big endian format. The next byte has a value of 110. I'm fairly
certain that the data is actually getting to EPMD, because if I don't
build the header correctly (for example, by not using the correct
endianness for the length), EPMD doesn't respond at all and
Socket.Receive(byte[]) never returns.

What could cause EPMD to respond with no data?