[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Sat Feb 28 01:40:04 CET 2009

On 26-Feb-09, at 9:17 AM, David Mercer wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:49 PM, Michael T. Richter wrote:
>

> I submit that even at the time of C++ garbage collection algorithms
> were more than suited to the task.  It was the old guard of
> programmers switching over to C++ from C that were the hurdle, not
> the technology.
>
> I admit to being part of that old guard.  My view in the early
> ’90’s was that Lisp was the best language for development, so
> prototype in Lisp, and then convert to C for production.  (My
> sister had an alternative view which I accepted, which was to only
> convert the parts that were slow, and keep most of it in Lisp.  She
> had the luxury of working for an employer that permitted that
> approach.)
>

> But anyway, I never really understood people’s problems with memory
> management; if you malloc memory, you need to be sure you
> understand the lifecycle of that memory and identify where it was
> to be freed.  I just didn’t understand how people could mess that
> up.  It made debugging code easier, too, since half the time I
> could find the problem by finding the malloc and figuring out where
> it went from there and where it wasn’t getting freed (or
> prematurely freed).

You answered your own question. Eliminating explicit malloc/free
eliminates that class of error. Just as Erlang/FP paradigmatically
eliminates whole other classes of error (such as mistakes in using
explicit locks).

> Then when Java came along, it really proved my point about garbage
> collecting being slow, because Java was much slower than C or C++.

Why blame gc alone? Java was interpreted (then)...

It may be that the overhead of VM and gc was also a factor in the
failure of Smalltalk-80 to conquer the world. Of course, 95 times out
of 100 performance just doesn't matter as much as the programmer
thinks – that's one thing that has not changed – while
maintainability almost always matters.

--Toby