[erlang-questions] Structuring an Eunit Suite

Adam Lindberg adam@REDACTED
Thu Jan 15 12:23:04 CET 2009

Hi Ben,

Let's see if I understood you correctly...

The example in the EUnit documentation:

fib_test_() ->
       [?_assert(fib(0) == 1),
        ?_assert(fib(1) == 1),
        ?_assert(fib(2) == 2),
        ?_assert(fib(3) == 3),
        ?_assert(fib(4) == 5),
        ?_assert(fib(5) == 8),
        ?_assertException(error, function_clause, fib(-1)),
        ?_assert(fib(31) == 2178309)
       ].

Could be written as (without the exception assert):

fib_test_() ->
    lists:map(fun assert_fib/1, [{0,1}, {1,1}, {2,2}, {3,3}, {4,5}, {5,8}, {31,2178309}]).

assert_fib({Value, Expected) ->
    ?_assert(fib(Value) == Expected).

If foo_test(Connection) returns a test fun, e.g. ?_assert(...) or similar, and you want to run this test for many different types of connections you could generate a list of such tests:

foo_test_() -> % Note the trailing underscore
    [test_util:foo_test(new_connection()), test_util:foo_test(some_other_connection())].

Note that the function name ends in underscore. This means that the function is not a test itself, it returns a test (which will be executed at a later time). Even nicer could be like this:

foo_test_() ->
    lists:map(fun test_util:foo_test/1, [new_connection(), some_other_connection()]).

Does this seem to be what you want?

Cheers,
Adam