[erlang-questions] *** ERROR: Shell process terminated! *** in R13B01

Taavi Talvik taavi@REDACTED
Thu Jun 11 15:28:41 CEST 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 3:32 PM, KLPhanikar wrote:

> *** ERROR: Shell process terminated! ***
>
> Eshell V5.7.2  (abort with ^G)
> (forge@REDACTED)1>
>
> I encountered the same message two times when I was trying to load a
> module after recompilation. The application I was running hasn't
> stopped.
>
> Can any one please explain me about the error
> *** ERROR: Shell process terminated! ***
> what caused it and why?
>
> I also ran the same application on R13B but never seen this error.

Erlang hot code loading only keeps 2 generations of code.
- new code just loaded
- old code

Probably your application is still running old code and there is no
fully qualified call a'la "forge_configManager:loop()", but just
"loop()"
somewhere.

When trying to load third version of code before old version
can be purged,  process is  forcefully terminated.

NB! only calling fully qualified function jumps to new version of code!

If your process is linked to shell or started from shell with
start_link(),
then shell also gets terminated.

best regards,
taavi
"We should forget about small efficiencies, about 97 percent of the
time.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil." Donald Knuth