[erlang-questions] erl_interface issue

Davide Marquês nesrait@REDACTED
Mon May 4 17:33:48 CEST 2009

Hi all,

erl_interface help wanted! :)

I'm getting a consistent failure under certain inputs:
1> echo:start("../../MSVC/Release/echo.exe").
<0.33.0>
2> echo:echo("aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa").
sending to port: {echo,{"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"}}
{ok,"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"}
3> echo:echo("aaaaa").
sending to port: {echo,{"aaaaa"}}
{ok,"aaaaaaaaa"}
4> echo:echo("aaa aaaaaa").
sending to port: {echo,{"aaa aaaaaa"}}

=ERROR REPORT==== 4-May-2009::16:11:15 ===
catch: error:badarg

As far as I can tell it's not an issue with the size of the message but with
the actual data being passed. I first spotted this problem with the
"New Folder" string. But the problem is not "string" specific... exchanging
a 'New Folder' atom or <<"New Folder">> binary will also fail.

At first I thought this problem could have been the result of using broken
erl_interface libraries (built with MinGW), but I've since started using MSVC
to link my program with the libraries that are bundled in the windows
erlang distribution and the problem remains.

I've made all the code necessary to replicate this issue available here:
http://github.com/davide/erl_interface-examples/tree/master

At this point I have absolutely no idea how to proceed into debugging this.
Any tips are welcome! ;)

Cheers,
:Davide