[erlang-questions] Re: Web server structure: Rack

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun ciprian.craciun@REDACTED
Mon Jan 11 07:16:55 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Steve Davis
<steven.charles.davis@REDACTED> wrote:

> What's wrong with building on inets? Why do we reinvent the web layer
> for OTP so often?
>
> BTW I am genuinely extremely interested in answers to these questions.

    Maybe there's nothing wrong with inets.

    But why do we reinvent the web layer? :)
    * it's a nice and easy task (well known, simple and useful
protocol) to write as one of your first OTP applications; (I wrote an
Gopher server as my first application; and I've also written my own
(almost throw-away) web server;)
    * it's fun to write a web stack that works **exactly** the way
**you** want; (or at least you think you want and then you change your
mind ;) )
    * it's damn easier than in other languages; (no threading /
multi-process / scalability issues);

    Hope others agree and add other motives.
    Ciprian.