[erlang-questions] CPU affinity and enif_thread_create

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Mon Aug 22 18:08:32 CEST 2011

enif_thread_create() and erl_drv_thread_create() will set the affinity of the newly created thread to the same as the affinity of the main thread (or you have found a bug). Binding of scheduler threads does not effect the affinity of the main thread. However, if you create the thread any other way (e.g. by calling pthread_create() directly), the newly created thread will inherit the affinity of the scheduler thread it happens to execute on (and it may also inherit other unwanted stuff).

If you have changed the affinity of the emulator while it is running, you need to force a re-read of the cpu information by calling erlang:system_info(update_cpu_info) before it will fully take effect.

What is the affinity of the emulator (main thread)?

<emu-pid> = os:getpid().

taskset -p <emu-pid> (in os-shell)

What are the affinities of the other individual threads?

ps -Lp <emu-pid> (in os-shell) will give you pids of individual threads (LWP column I think).

taskset -p <LWP pid>

Which ERTS version do you use?

Regards,
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB