[erlang-questions] App supporting several Erlang releases

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Tue Jan 18 09:05:17 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:23, Mazen Harake <
mazen.harake@REDACTED> wrote:

> Trying to "cover" all versions sounds like the kind of nightmare I could
> wake up to in the middle of the night. Some call it "maintenance nightmare",
> I just call it "waste of time".
>
> If you update your software in anyway you will have to put in these quirks
> in every piece of code that isn't always backwards compatible.

Yes, I know. The thing that would still make it work is that we might be
able to just switch features on and off depending of the version, instead of
having to provide alternative implementations.

> It feels a bit like handling python2 or python3 in your code I.e: wrong.
> My 2 cents? Just split the versions, one pre R13 and one R13+... or discard
> one (say only works with R13+ or whatever)

Splitting would work too, but duplicating code isn't really a very nice
approach either :-)

Thanks!

best regards,
Vlad