[erlang-questions] Parameterized module initialization

CGS cgsmcmlxxv@REDACTED
Wed Jun 27 08:19:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

With the chance to be considered "ugly", I've been using the solution given
here by Joe along with some others (using list instead of tuple - Erlang is
good at list manipulation and, by the way, doesn't the great tail recursion
use this kind of variable shadowing? i see no ugliness in it; list of
tuples - feels like working with JSON's; record - working with server
state; nested records - complex states, "one state to rule them all";
string hiding the variables - easy to convert into/from data transfer
stream over a tcp connection; and maybe others). Each approach has its own
advantages and disadvantages. The solution given by Joe is close to
defining a state of a gen_server or whatever (pretty often in documentation
one can find a state defined by a record). Maybe when Erlang will have the
records replaced by something else, this practice will be obsolete, Joe's
solution gets +1 from me.

That's my 2c opinion.

CGS