[erlang-questions] Artificial Intelligence and Erlang?

G.S. corticalcomputer@REDACTED
Thu May 3 10:03:33 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am the author of the mentioned upcoming book on Neural Network based
systems through Erlang, the book title is: Handbook of Neuroevolution
Through Erlang. Springer is my publisher, the book will be in print towards
the end of 3rd quarter of 2012. The book is currently in the Springer's
production pipeline, print version ISBN is: 978-1-4614-4462-6. Finally, I
am also very happy to note that the foreword to the book is written by Joe
Armstrong.

I do research in Universal Learning Networks and Neuroevolution based
systems: www.dxnnresearch.com. The following are the slides from this
year's Erlang Factory conference:
https://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/SFBay2012/speakers/GeneSher. The
original DXNN (not a lot of comments are present in the source code, since
DXNN1 I primarily use myself) source code is available on GitHub, DXNN2 has
a cleaner architecture than V1, significantly more documentation, and is
the one built from ground up and explored in my book. Source code for DXNN2
should be available on GitHub shortly.

Here are the old videos of my system evolving complex behaviours in
artificial life experiments, using my Flatland 2d ALife simulator (built
using gs):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzsDZt8EO70&list=UUdBTNtB1C3Jt90X1I26Vmhg&index=2&feature=plcpAlso,
a number of preprints on the DXNN system are available on arxiv.

If you're interested in computational intelligence systems built in Erlang,
DXNN is a solid choice. DXNN has direct and indirect NN encoding,
evolutionary/memetic algorithm based learning, neural plasticity (Hebbian,
Oja's, Neuromodulation, substrate-freeform rules...), modularity, and is
dynamic and has content drift tracking and new sensor/actuator evolution
and integration. Thus, it's a strong, versatile, and a highly scalable
contender for applications in ALife, Robotics,...

Best regards,
-Gene
ps. I'll be at this year's Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference
(GECCO), so if any of you plan on going, let me know.