[erlang-questions] In praise of Erlang's 'if'

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Aug 21 05:21:50 CEST 2014

Erlang's 'if' is often criticised, so I thought it would
be nice to show an example where it's just right.

In connection with the recent thread on Potion,
I've been re-reading
    Visual Programming Languages and the
    Empirical Evidence For and Against
    K.N.Whitley, October 1996,
    submitted to the Journal of Visual Languages and Computing.

Amongst other evidence for visual programming languages, this
paper cites Scanlan's "Structured flowcharts outperform
pseudocode: An experimental comparison", IEEE Software, June 1989.
Scanlan's article is, it seems to me, a classic case of
claiming too much.  The title suggests, and the text clearly
states, that 'structured flowcharts' are superior to 'pseudocode',
where what was established was that one particular form of
flowchart was superior to one particular form of pseudocode.

Here's one of the pseudo-code examples:

   IF GREEN
      THEN
         IF CRISPY
            THEN
               STEAM
            ELSE
               CHOP
         ENDIF
      ELSE
         FRY
         IF LEAFY
            THEN
               IF HARD
                  THEN
                     GRILL
                  ELSE
                     BOIL
               ENDIF
            ELSE
               BAKE
         ENDIF
   ENDIF

The weird layout is none of my invention.
Now, suppose we used Erlang as the pseudocode:

   if     Green,     Crispy                    -> steam()
    ;     Green, not Crispy                    -> chop()
    ; not Green,               Leafy,   Hard   -> fry(), grill()
    ; not Green,               Leafy, not Hard -> fry(), boil()
    ; not Green,           not Leafy           -> fry(), bake()
   end

How do you think the comparison would have come out then?

There is an old experiment that showed that
  if X ... ifnot X ... end
was easier to understand than if X ... else ... end, and
oddly enough the 'hungry hare' examples in Scanlan appear
to have been taken from it, without learning its lesson.
It is at least possible that Scanlan's results were entirely
due to this factor, not the 'visual' aspect per se.)

The irony is that an Erlang 'if', laid out the way I've
laid it out, would in Whitley's paper have been classified
as a 'visual' notation (subclass 'matrix').

We could also do it as a 'case':

   case {Green, Crispy, Leafy, Hard }
     of {true,  true,   _,     _    } -> steam()
      ; {true,  false,  _,     _    } -> chop()
      ; {false, _,      true,  true } -> fry(), grill()
      ; {false, _,      true,  false} -> fry(), boil()
      ; {false, _,      false, _    } -> fry(), bake()
   end

but in this case I think 'if' is easier to read.

You might want to object that Scanlan could not have been
expected to think of this kind of layout in 1986, but this
is just a 'decision table', and decision tables are much
older than that and were well known in the 70s.

What this illustrates above all is that proving that some
particular language or language feature is better or worse
than some other can be much harder than you think, and
that even classic results in the field can collapse under
a little inspection.