[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 20:22:22 CET 2014

On 02/13/2014 06:48 PM, kraythe . wrote:
> So it seems the general sort of feeling is: "We don't really care about
> adoption or how things are presented to the development community as well.
> We call it Open Telecom Platform and if that means you can't sell a project
> to management in Erlang then we don't care. Adoption is not a priority of
> this community or Ericson in specific and thats that."

I'm late in reading the thread and to be honest after reading this I
couldn't care less anymore. I'll say this though:

How the hell do you come up with "the community and Ericsson doesn't
care about adoption" from a topic where you voice your concerns about
the name being misleading? And why do you even mention Ericsson? You
didn't even talk to them.

And most importantly, what really matters? Adoption, or being able to
write systems that actually work? Java has adoption, but everything is
fundamentally broken. Is that really what you prefer? Being able to pay
a dozen monkeys to piss awful code where one Erlang developer would have
sufficed? Forcing said monkeys to take shifts at night to fix your
system every other week where Erlang fixes itself automatically? And
finally, do you prefer having a system with millions of lines of code
that is essentially an unmaintanable mess with leaky abstractions all
over the place, or a system with tens of thousands of lines of code with
each "object" cleanly isolated in its own process?

If you think adoption is most important, then you are clearly in the
wrong place, not because the community doesn't want it, but because it
doesn't want to *sacrifice* everything else just to get more people to
use it. Especially when that sacrifice has no clear benefits, like with
changing the name.

And just so you know, Erlang *is* getting adopted, I have personally
trained a hundred people this past year, many of them whose company just
started doing Erlang or having done a couple small projects. There *is*
adoption, it's just not in the same scale as Java, and never will,
because you can't pay monkeys to piss Erlang code, while Java has a
whole industry based on providing those code monkeys.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu