[erlang-questions] Erlang is *not* a implementation of the Actor model Re: Go vs Erlang for distribution

Ignas Vyšniauskas i.vysniauskas@REDACTED
Thu Jun 26 15:10:12 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:
> http://carlhewitt.info has lots of links to papers &c but
> I am still searching in vain for the *expected* evidence
> that ActorScript is something other than vapourware.
>
> I say *expected* because the Actor model has been around for
> a long time, Hewitt is a highly respected researcher, and I
> trust him not to talk about ActorScript as an existing thing
> if it isn't.

If you go through the other papers listed on Hewitt's page you will
notice some interesting "publications", like:

* "Mathematics self-proves its own Consistency (contra Gödel et.
al.)", where Hewitt claims having disproved long established
mathematical results via some ad-hoc philosophical arguments;
* "What is computation? Actor Model versus Turing's Model", where he
argues that the Actor Model expresses hypercomputation and thus
transcends Turing machines;

and other gems of varying degree.

To put it lightly, I think Hewitt's papers published after circa 2000
should be taken with a grain of salt. If you look at his publication
history[1], you will notice he has not released a single paper in a
respectable (sic) journal since then. He has also been notoriously
banned from Wikipedia[2][3] for destructively editing articles
according to his own beliefs. I could go on with many other
"interesting" facts, but they can be easily discovered by oneself.
Respectability is not a permanent trait.

[1]: http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/pers/hd/h/Hewitt:Carl
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Carl_Hewitt
[3]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/CarlHewitt/Archive

--