[erlang-questions] Design pattern: single responsibility

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Mar 6 00:55:35 CET 2015

We've had a thread about the use or otherwise of design patterns in Erlang.
I've also had some mail that had me thinking about this.

One idea which already has a name is "Single Responsibility".
The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_responsibility_principle
says it's about classes, but really it's nothing but cohesiveness
by another name.

In the context of Erlang,
the idea is that each process should do one job.
Advantages:

   Suppose a process has two jobs, A and B.
   And something about working on A makes it crash.
   Now nobody is doing job B.

   If we have two processes, they can execute on
   different cores.

Disadvantages:

   If jobs A and B are coupled somehow, there will have
   to be communication between the processes working on
   them that there wouldn't be in a single process.

Example:

    Separating logging from working.