[erlang-questions] Supervisor (ab)use

Schneider schneider@REDACTED
Mon Sep 12 14:08:14 CEST 2016

Dear List,

I want to implement a service which starts and stops a bunch of
endpoints. All endpoints are very similar in their basic behavior and
are started with several predefined parameters such as controlling
process, a guid etc. with the endpoint id added at the end of the
argument list. The simple one for one supervisor matches these
requirements perfectly.
Well, actually there are two types of endpoints, readers and writers.

I use a simple one for one supervisor and add a child using:

supervisor:start_child(Sup, [Entity_id, Type])

The supervisor is defined as::

init([NNS]) ->
     {ok, { {simple_one_for_one, 1, 5},
            [{rtps_endpoint,
              {rtps_endpoint, start_link, [NNS]},
              transient, 5000, worker, [rtps_endpoint]}]
          } }.

rtps_endpoint reads:

start_link(NS, Entity_id, reader) ->
     start_link(NS, Entity_id, rtps_reader);
start_link(NS, Entity_id, writer) ->
     start_link(NS, Entity_id, rtps_writer);
start_link(NS, Entity_id, Module) ->
     gen_server:start_link({via, rtps_participant, {NS, Entity_id}},
Module, [Entity_id], []).

This seems to work fine, but I am wondering if there are potential
issues with this construct, especially with the Modules in the child
specifications and code replacement.

Any advice?

- Frans